Tuesday, December 1, 2009

"Digital Native, Digital Immigrants Part 1" by Marc Prensky

Prensky, M. (2001). Digital natives, digital immigrants: Part 1. On the Horizon, 9(5), 1-6.

"Although most attempts at "edutainment" to date have essentially failed from both the education and entertainment perspective, we can - and will I predict - do better."

Finally, a Prensky quote I can at least live with. First he admits that "edutainment" has failed. I am not too concerned with it failing as entertainment, there is plenty of that out there, but I am glad to see he admits that it is failing educationally. I have said before that I can see that his theories are theoretically sound, but not realistic. The end of his quote says a lot. "we can - I PREDICT - to do better. " We all know how well predictions work in education. If predictions of the 1950's had come true, we would all me commuting to work via jet packs and spending vacations on the moon. Predictions do not produce results. I may not use "edutainment" or rely solely on technology to teach my students. I do see the benefits of incorporating it with some of the old tried and true methods of teaching. The old tried and true methods have produced results: tangible, quantitative results that are noticeably absent from Prensky's articles. Maybe I can jump on the Prensky bandwagon when his PREDICTIONS are substantiated with results. Until then, I will continue producing socially and academically successful students who are successful, productive, in the real world using my mix of technology and good old fashion teaching. I will produce the well educated student, and he can continue to produce theories and predictions.

3 comments:

  1. Kirk, below is the quote I considered using for one of my posts. I referenced it, but I didn't use it as my "discussion" post. I think this explains his entire reason for speaking so strongly on using video games in the classroom...

    NOTE
    Marc Prensky is the author of Digital Game-Based
    Learning (McGraw-Hill, 2001) and Founder and CEO
    of Games2Train.com The Monkey Wrench Conspiracy
    CD can be purchased for $10 at www.games2train.com/
    site/html/tutor.html


    If enough people support him in his endeavor, he'll have a nice little retirement...I will not be supporting him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirk - you have done exactly what we have to teach our students to do: evaluate the sources they consider referencing from the Internet. Your personal example would make a great lesson in not accepting everything read at face value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great point you made. I was very offended by many of his references to teachers in his articles as I wrote this on my discussion board for this quote: …”This is obvious to the Digital Natives – school often feels pretty much as if we’ve brought in a population of heavily accented, unintelligible foreigners to lecture them”. Once again Mr. Prensky is referring to teachers in a very disrespectful and “stereotyped” way. This is very derogatory and demeaning. I think he needs to go back to creating his digital games. I understand he has some key points but it is difficult to respect someone who attacks my profession in such a manner as this.

    Angie...we both had the same thoughts!

    ReplyDelete